Bushfire victims vent their fury as Red Cross reveals it will take YEARS for the $95million donated to ravaged communities to reach those in need
- Category: NGOs and other system leeches
- Created: Wednesday, 22 January 2020 10:59
- Written by Jackson Barron - Daily Mail Australia
- The Red Cross announced a third of their donated funds have been distributed
- Many bushfire victims are yet to receive anything despite losing everything
- Funds are set to be distributed over three years in 'tailored recovery programs'
- Bega MP Andrew Constance slammed the Red Cross, saying help is needed now
- 'Australians donated now so people get help now, not in three years' - Constance
The Australian Red Cross has revealed it will likely take years for the $95million donated to bushfire victims to reach ravaged communities.
The charity said on Wednesday $30million of its Disaster Relief and Recovery Fund had been allocated to bushfire victims, but many have received nothing.
Robert Gorringe, from Ulmarra in northern New South Wales, told 7News he had been left out the donations that have so far been distributed.
'They've made a lot of promises that they're going to this, that and the other, but I've received nothing,' Mr Gorringe said.
The Red Cross released a statement saying its bushfire relief funds will be drip fed out to ravaged communities over the next three years through 'tailored recovery programs'.
Bega MP Andrew Constance slammed the Red Cross for leaving the money to earn interest in their bank account instead of giving it to desperate victims immediately.
'Australians have donated now so that people get help now, not in three years,' Mr Constance said.
The Minister for Transport and Roads offered an invitation to show higher powers the destruction the fires had on communities in his electorate in the hope funding would be fast-tracked.
'My challenge to every one of these CEO's: sit in my car on Saturday, we'll go and see these people and then they might have a change in heart,' he said.
The Red Cross have already approved 474 cash grants, and this week will appoint external advisers to its Fund Advisory Panel to oversee the distribution and allocation of funds.
'Up to four external experts will provide independent advice on the best use of funds to meet immediate needs and to support the long term recovery of impacted communities,' the statement reads.
Australian Red Cross Chief Executive Officer Judy Slatyer said: 'We are working hard to ensure the generous donations from the Australian community and others around the world are used in the best way possible to help people and communities cope with the fires and recover well.'
- 7NEWS Sydney on Twitter: "As bushfire victims continue to do it very tough, there's an extraordinary admission from one of our biggest charities. @RedCrossAU says it will take years to spend the millions of dollars donated to devastated comm ...
- Donations to Red Cross working hard for bushfire | Australian Red Cross
Source : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7915159/Red-Cross-reveals-YEARS-95million-donated-reach-bushfire-victims.html?ito=social-facebook_Australia&fbclid=IwAR3zKOxSnk3uKt3hu3o3xMULX9DxC57B9Y-8ReA5dC5k6HBgIk1nFFV0fSo